- Monday’s coronavirus update for the US continued the depressing drumbeat of negative news, with case records continuing to be broken in the US thanks to states like Florida.
- One reason the coronavirus response in the US has been so lackluster is the lack of uniformity when it comes to technology used by health departments and labs that generate tests.
- The results can be sent by fax, sometimes digitally, or in some other way that creates a bottleneck.
If you had to, you could easily choose one of several iconic images as being most closely associated with the US response to the coronavirus pandemic thus far — anything from scenes of New York City hospital staff dressed in what look to be hazmat suits dealing with overcrowded facilities in the early days of the pandemic to throngs of partygoers and protestors who refuse to socially distance and are opposed to wearing face masks to protect themselves against the virus.
You could also add another image to that list of memorable scenes, however, and it’s one that most people may not be aware of. Picture a fax machine — I know, who even uses them anymore, but just go with it — that’s spraying pages all over the place, like a scene from a movie or a sitcom. That image, that mental snapshot, can actually help partly explain why the US is doing such a terrible job with its response to the coronavirus pandemic right now, even as states around the country continue to set scary new records in terms of coronavirus cases. And with Florida alone now responsible for more cases of the virus than most other countries.
Today’s Top Deals
- Don’t be fooled by these fake NIOSH-approved N95 face masks – here’s what to get instead
- 7 things you desperately need to fight coronavirus, according to CDC guidelines
- Today’s best deals: 50¢ face masks, Lysol spray, Purell sanitizer, $9 wireless charger, AirPods sale, smart bulbs, more
Trending Right Now:
- Your chance of a new stimulus check can be summed up in 3 numbers
- If you live in one of these states, the coronavirus pandemic is going to get much worse
- Whistleblower says China has been lying about coronavirus the whole time
The US coronavirus response is so bad for a reason you probably didn’t even realize originally appeared on BGR.com on Mon, 13 Jul 2020 at 23:51:07 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.